Regardless of whether you have been migrated or not, you will be able to access your mail in a web browser at mail.iu.edu.
UITS has an overview of the Exchange Migration in the Knowledge here: https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahza#migration
For all systems, the only username the Exchange administrators are advising people use is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please verify that your email client is configured for the migration:
- Windows users are having minimal problems with Outlook. Users with a large amount of data in their account may experience 1 or 2 days disruption.
- Windows Mail and Outlook settings: https://kb.iu.edu/d/bghp
- macOS users using Apple’s Mail application may need to change the server address manually in settings (see below)
- Apple Mail and Mac Outlook settings: https://kb.iu.edu/d/bghr
- Android and iOS users may need to delete and re-add the Exchange account.
- Android Settings: https://kb.iu.edu/d/bgig
- iOS Settings: https://kb.iu.edu/d/bgfl
- Linux Evolution Email client Settings: https://kb.iu.edu/d/bghs
Additional Configuration information:
macOS – Apple Mail Instructions for Manual Settings Adjustment
If you find you are unable to send or receive mail after the migration, follow these steps.
- In the Mail application, open Preferences
- Navigate to the Accounts tab
- Select the Exchange account in the left column, and then the Server Settings tab
- Uncheck the box next to “Automatically manage settings” if it is checked
- Change the User name to email@example.com
- Change both the Internal and External server URLs to the following: https://outlook.office365.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx
- Close the Preferences window and choose to Save Settings
This should restore normal operation of sending and receiving.
If you have iCloud Keychain enabled, this synchronizes internet accounts across devices. Changing the mail settings on one Mac or mobile device should propagate to the other Macs and mobile devices you are logged in to.
A major effect for users of e-mail clients such as Thunderbird will be the loss of IMAP support on the new Exchange mail system. Thunderbird access to IU’s Exchange servers was previously provided via the IMAP protocol, and it does not have native support for Microsoft’s proprietary Exchange Online authentication, which the new servers require.
There is a paid third-party Thunderbird add-on called Owl (https://kb.iu.edu/d/hoot) that will allow you to continue to use Thunderbird, although long-term support is not guaranteed by IU. It is priced at 10 Euros (currently $12+) per year after a 30-day free trial (no sign-up or payment needed before the trial ends). For Windows or Mac users who are not highly invested in using Thunderbird, we suggest switching to a client that supports Exchange Online, such as Outlook. Such Linux users may consider switching to Evolution (https://kb.iu.edu/d/bghs), which also supports it.
Need assistance with your EXCHANGE MIGRATION?
UITS is currently migrating all IU Exchange mailboxes to Exchange Online, as a result many IU mailboxes are experiencing a service disruption. In most cases a quick configuration is all that is required.
College + IT is hosting virtual walk-in support via IU Zoom to assist in the configuration of email clients after Exchange Online migration. To request Exchange Online migration assistance please visit the Zoom room linked below and a College + IT Professional will move you to the appropriate support technician’s zoom room. This will operate from 08:30am to 04:30pm, Monday through Friday until IU’s Exchange Online migrations are completed.
Please have the following ready for best support experience:
- Any device you utilize to check your IU Email (Desktop/Laptop/Tablet/Phone)
- Know your Primary IU Email Address (check under your name heading at https://securitycenter.iu.edu)
- Update your mobile devices to the latest OS (iOS14.4, Android 11.0)
For individuals that utilize Outlook Web (OWA) via a web browser you may notice https://mail.iu.edu issues an error upon logon. Over time this will begin to work again, in the interim please utilize https://outlook.office.com or the Outlook option after logon to https://office.iu.edu