How do I contact students if IU Canvas is down?
If Canvas is not working, you can contact students via the Faculty Center – https://one.iu.edu/launch-task/iu/faculty-center (or log into one.iu and go to the Faculty Center).
- Set the term/campus to Fall 2020
- Select the course you want to email
- Scroll down past the list of the students and click ‘notify listed
students’, the middle option just under the roster
- That will open an email from you to all students in the course.
How do I connect to IU Zoom if there is another outage?
While not all service outages with Zoom are the same, UITS has provided a workaround for the client Zoom problems experienced Monday, August 24th 2020.
Users that have the Zoom client or mobile application installed, can access Zoom by logging in via the client. For more information, see: https://kb.iu.edu/d/aodv#logi
Please note that administrative privileges are not required to install this application if you choose “Install for me only” which will run the application under your user session and will not require elevation prompts when running.
What can I use instead of Zoom?
- Sign in with your IU username @iu.edu and not using @indiana.edu and authenticate. You will authenticate via an IU CAS logon.
- Click on ‘Video Call’ and then ‘Join or start a meeting’
- Create a meeting name and then click ‘Continue’
- You can also schedule meetings ahead and invite student(s)
- Allow access to your camera and microphone
- Once created, send your student(s) the meeting connection info (example: https://meet.google.com/xxx-xxxx-xxx
How do I schedule a Zoom meeting?
- Sign in to Zoom using your IU username and passphrase (without @iu.edu or @indiana)
- From the left menu, select Meetings
- Click Schedule a New Meeting
- Adjust the following settings:
- Topic: A meeting topic (for example, “Recurring Meeting”)
- Recurring meeting: Check the Recurring meeting box and change the selection for “Recurrence” to No Fixed Time
- Adjust any other settings as desired
- Click Save
To invite others to your recurring meeting, do either of the following:
- Share the default invitation text. To find it, view the settings for your meeting (click the name of the meeting if necessary), and to the right of the “Invite Attendees” row, click Copy the invitation.
- Share the meeting’s join URL with your participants. To find it, while viewing the settings for your meeting, look immediately to the right of “Invite Attendees”. The join URL will be in the format https://iu.zoom.us/j/1234567890.
- For more information, please refer to UITS Knowledgebase – Keyword search: “Get started with Zoom” or https://kb.iu.edu/d/aocz
Where do I look for notifications of IU services outages?
For IU-wide IT maintenance and outages, please refer to Status@IU via https://status.iu.edu