IU Box Retirement
Box is dramatically raising its prices, and is ending its unlimited storage offering. Because of these changes, IU will no longer offer Box storage as of March 2021. Student, faculty, and staff individual files will be migrated to either Microsoft OneDrive at IU or Google at IU My Drive. Since IU has existing contracts with these companies, this move will be a better use of university resources.
- UITS will provide tools to migrate Box data. Users will be able to choose which service they would like their files migrated to. If no choice is made, users will be moved to a default service.
- Don’t start moving now. Waiting to move all the items at once, with the tools or vendor services we provide, will ensure that file-sharing permissions and folder structure can be maintained. If you start moving now, you could lose your changes when the vendor service starts moving the files.
- Do start cleaning now. The best thing you can do is delete unnecessary files and remove yourself or your unit from files or folders that you don’t want or need to access.
- Don’t build new processes around Box. Investigate the options that use Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive.
- Investigate current processes around Box. Find out how others within your unit are using Box. Use that information to inform discussions with your unit leader about which service would best meet your needs. Leaders of each unit will need to communicate their decisions about which service will be used, because individuals will ultimately choose the new service for themselves.